Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The Jeremiah Project Part 1: The Scrapbook

A.J. Foltz’s The Jeremiah Project Part 1: The Scrapbook serves as a basic introduction to the book of Jeremiah.

Each chapter (the book covers Jeremiah 1-10) includes a Prelude, a Chapter Study, a Tag-A-Long, and a Scrapbook Page. The Preludes connect general life experiences to the content in the Chapter Study. The Chapter Studies walk readers through verses – a few at a time – and Foltz asks questions and provides commentary (history, context, etc.) to increase understanding. Answers to the questions are included at the back of the Chapter Study. The Tag-A-Long summarizes the chapter and introduces the next, and the Scrapbook introduces Jesus.

I’d been wanting to read Jeremiah for a while but felt intimidated by the content. When I saw this book, I thought it would provide a simple study and context to drive me into Jeremiah. The information provided in the Chapter Studies was intriguing and informative and propelled me to read the next and the next chapter. I didn’t find the other sections of the chapters to be interesting to me, as I was looking purely for a Bible study – not for stories, interpretations, or sermonettes. However, I can see how these sections could appeal to others. One frustration with the book is that the Bible verses that were often given as places for further study didn’t seem to be relevant to the material and topics they were supposed to be supplementing. I’m thankful that this study took me into Jeremiah, and once finished I continued beyond Chapter 10 and read to the end of Jeremiah.  

This book was helpful to me, but if the author wrote a sequel, I don’t think I would read it. So would I recommend it to others? Not highly, but for some reasons and to some people, yes.  

The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book through BookSneeze®. I was not required to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment