Sunday, August 24, 2014

Bathsheba Bathed in Grace

Carol Cook’s Bathsheba Bathed in Grace tells the stories of eight Bible women.  

Each chapter is about a different woman: The book tells the stories of Bathsheba, Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, Rachel, Tamar, and Eve. Each woman has a story that reveals some darkness: deception, lack of faith, misunderstanding, etc., and Cook shows the reader how each woman came out on top because of their choice to seek and follow God.  

The first couple of stories were interesting, but after that they were predictable and not challenging and didn’t hold my attention. The characters all had the same voice, and the emotion portrayed through the writing style seemed forced and banal. There were a few times when a new idea was presented; Bathsheba’s entire story gave me a new perspective on her role in the affair, and I also hadn’t before related that Jacob deceived his father and then was deceived by Laban. Most of the time Cook’s stories paralleled the Bible stories, but there were times when her conclusions seemed a bit far-fetched.

While I believe that this book was written prayerfully, I do not recommend it to others.



The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book through BookSneeze®. I was not required to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment