Sunday, August 31, 2014

"Blessed are the Peacemakers" by Mike Berenstain

“Blessed are the Peacemakers” by Mike Berenstain is another happy, satisfying story from Bear Country.
Not surprisingly, the antagonists in this tale are Too-Tall and his gang, who target cubs unlike them – especially Ferdy Factual and his friends. Surprisingly, Queenie McBear (of Too-Tall’s gang) and Ferdy earn the main roles in the school’s play of Romeo and Grizzliet . . . and love’s magic takes its toll. When the two stars profess their love on the balcony, Too-tall sheds his role and disrupts the play, and all bears start to push and yell – even Mamas and Papas. At the end, all bears learn a lesson, and the play and the story finish peacefully.

Opening this book after a 20-year hiatus from the Bear Family made me feel as though I was sitting on the couch again curled up next to my mom as she read. I remember also as a kid looking at the titles listed on the back of the books and wishing that I could read all of them, and I found myself doing the same with this book. This is the first book of Mike’s I’ve read, and while I was happy to infer that his books have religious undertones, I was concerned that they might be cheesy. But they weren’t. The peacemaker message was appropriate, concise, and direct, and I appreciated the intentional mention of the Bible. I want to read more of Mike’s books, and I definitely recommend this book to others.


The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book through BookSneeze®. I was not required to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment