Sunday, January 10, 2016

Jesus: Experiencing His Touch: A Study of Mark 1-6

Never having picked up a Bible study guide, I thought I'd give this one a try. It seemed simple, and the cover advertises it as "a 6-week, no-homework Bible study."

The book is only a study of Mark 1-6, so I figured if I didn't like it not much time would be lost. The fact that it only covers Mark 1-6 also made me think that it'd be a bit in-depth and provocative.

At first I was bored. Juggling the book and the Bible was cumbersome, and the author was asking me to underline and draw pictures around certain words. I wasn't into that.

The book has a neat feature--in the margins of each page are full-text copies of the verses being covered. Once I put my Bible away and just used the book, reading the verses right from the pages, I began to enjoy the study a lot more. I still didn't get into marking the verses (drawing squiggly lines under all references to John the Baptist, marking each occurrence of the word sins with an S, etc.), but I think some people would find it meaningful.

The book contains 6 studies. Each study instructs the leader (this book is deigned for small-group study) to read the verses aloud while the group marks words, then there are a few study questions.

Despite my reservations at the beginning, the book is effective because I'm planning to get the next ones in the series.

I was drawn to Jesus' character and his desire for us to have faith in him.

I received this book from Blogging for Books fin turn for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment