Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Christian Mama’s Guide to Having a Baby by Erin MacPherson


The Christian Mama’s Guide to Having a Baby by Erin MacPherson is a step-by-step guide to what a mom (and even a dad) should expect during pregnancy.

Erin covers every detail – from an overview of each trimester, to who to call for advice, to what to shop for, to how to exercise. Included throughout her book are sections titled “Time-Out for Mom” in which MacPherson offers Bible verses and a prayer to comfort the anxious mom.

Reading MacPherson’s book made me more confident in the knowledge that one day I could handle having a baby. I appreciate MacPherson’s candid advice and instruction about what happens during the sometimes dreaded nine months that no mother seems willing to tell a woman who has yet to be pregnant. Her Biblical references were peaceful and relevant and were a large part of what made this book intriguing.

MacPherson’s humor and detail made the book enjoyable to read, and I found myself laughing out loud many times; the greatest of all was in response to this statement: “Since I have absolutely no experience with pushing – I had C-sections – me telling you about pushing is kind of like your husband telling you about multitasking. You can’t explain what you’ve never done” (217).

As I went through the first few chapters, I thought MacPherson was much too verbose, and I found myself thinking of ways to write the book in half the number of pages. While I do still think that the book could be shorter, by the middle of the book and through to the end I found myself reading every word – not wanting to miss any detail or skip over any funny parts.

The book is well organized and can easily be used as a manual. Through her language and tone, MacPherson creates a bond and a friendship with the reader that definitely will draw me to reading more of her guides.

I recommend this book to other readers.


The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book through BookSneeze®. I was not required to write a positive review.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment